Wigs made of human hair are being worn for a variety of reasons, whether you are covering up hair loss or you’re just wanting to switch up your hairstyle often, wearing a human hair wig lets you change up your hair without having to harm it by using heat or harmful chemicals. Although many people are wearing wigs on a daily basis, there is still a right way and a wrong way to wear and style your wig.
Let’s Talk, THINGS TO DO
- Try on different wigs before selecting one. This is one of the most important guidelines when learning how to wear a wig. Not every hairstyle flatters every face shape or personality.
- Take your wig to a hairstylist and have them cut it into a shape and style that suits your face.
- Get the most natural looking wig as possible in a modern style that you enjoy.
- Make sure the hairline looks natural.
- Consider 1/2 wigs. They will allow the font of your hair to be left out so there is less stress on your hairline. Just make sure you match the texture with your natural hair.
- Protect your natural hair under your wig; there are many protective styles to choose from – wrap it or braid it.
- Store your wig in a proper place, like on top of a wig head, overnight; this will help keep its shape.
- Wash and condition your wig! You must take care of your wig(s) as if they were your hair in order to keep them looking fabulous!
- Go age-appropriate. You do not want a wig that makes you look 30 years older.
- Brush out the curls on a curly wig with a paddle brush for a more realistic look.
- Take care of your wig by storing it on a wig head at night, no matter what kind of hair it is made of. This helps it keep its shape and the hairs stay in line.
- Do curl and style your wig on your head! This way you know how the curls and style will look on you.
And Things NOT to do:
- Do not wear a wig straight from the package!
- Do not wear a wig that is too tight; make sure your wig properly fits your head to avoid headaches and breaks in your natural hair.
- Do not put on a wig over wet hair – this can lead to a bacteria build up & nobody wants that.
- Do not wear your wig 24/7. Wigs rub at the hairline and may rub your hairline away.
The first thing you want to do is shampoo it before you start wearing it. When you buy a wig, it has that shiny look that says ‘I’m a wig.’ It is a dead giveaway to any kind of fake hair. If it is synthetic, you should soak in apple cider vinegar prior to wearing. Let it hang to dry and it will look fabulous. If it is a human-hair wig, use a wig shampoo and conditioner and let it hang to dry.
A HUGE NO NO!
Most women wear wigs too long. If it is synthetic, change it at least once a week. Change that thing. Wear it for a week, at the most, two.